I wish I had a good reason for calling this 15 things for March, other than the obvious fact that today is the early hours of March’s 15th day.
But hey. If everything happens for a reason, then anything can happen for no reason, right? Brain teasers all around. Let’s get countin’.
1) I’m alive! Yes, while I haven’t been a busy blogger bee, I’ve been very much alive and well. Despite having a tough (but ultimately “educational”) fall semester, I’ve grown to enjoy this year. In friendship, I’ve found some remarkable things. Like farts and nudeness being totally acceptable. Like sharing a look that speaks volumes more than any words in the English language. Life is not perfect, but that’s perfectly fine with me. Because life is good.
2) Grace Potter & The Nocturnals and Maroon 5 are playing on repeat. I blame father darling and H for the first and all of my kooky roommates for the second.
3) Gummie vitamins are a godsend.
4) I’ve talked a lot about mindful eating and living but have only succeeded in varying degrees. At some point over Spring Break (read: last week), I had some sort of subtle realization about mindful living. Ever since, I’ve been oddly at peace. Especially in regard to food, I’ve felt remarkably in tune. It’s a bit of a new feeling but altogether welcome for sure. I’ve also kicked a couple of other nastaaaay habits in the meantime. Spring cleaning, you’re such a thing.
5) I can’t remember the last time I bought (err used?) a non-mechanical pencil. Like what the what? Who even knows what happened to yellow pencils.
6) Language. I think I speak one of my own. Most notably containing the word “nugget” and the phrase “grinds my gears.” Chu feel me? Ya’ll know how I do.
7) Did the inventor of pajamas win a noble peace prize? Because he/she really should have.
8) Healthy is subjective to who you are. And for me, it’s about who I am. Your bro/chick code doesn’t apply to my dealio, and mine doesn’t apply to yours.
9) I dig conversations about health, yo. I showed up to support B and ended up seeing Gena at a panel about health last night. It made me think—a lot. I think about the subject a great deal already, but I rarely verbalize those thoughts. Why? I quietly like to avoid seeming judgmental/condescending/pedantic about it. As a foodie, I am somewhat sensitive to those as labels. If someone asks, I’ll happily oblige an answer. Otherwise, I keep my thoughts to myself and prefer to reflect those thoughts more in my actions. As a whole though, the panel was a really striking discussion about food, fitness, and culture. It made me realize just how deeply I care about the issues we face as a society. But in my mind, the question remains: what do we do?
10) Okra is slimy. Real slimy like Nickolodeon’s Slime Time show. Ambivalent—but also intrigued?
11) NICKOLODEON? Amanda Show! You know that was my jam.
12) Showers are my muse. That’s real life. Some people have hott (yes, two t’s) brooding french guys or chirping birds as their muse. But the showaaaaah and I go way back. Keepin’ it clean since 1993.
13) I love farmers’ markets. Really I do. As homegirl who runs Georgetown’s Farmers’ Market though, I might be a smidge biased. Everything Wednesday I feel like the luckiest girl in the world to spend 7 hours with just pure, local lovin’.
14) Pie and I are still eh. Key lime pie from Pie Sisters, however, is a maybe minor exception of sorts. Oh and ‘punkin—vegetables are always exceptions…erm exceptional…in my book.
15) Happy Friday!
(my new favorite quote, thanks to one of the farmers’ market vendors)