To celebrate what will (hopefully) be my 20th year of life, I’ve decided to make a list of 20 in 20. These aren’t resolutions for a year; rather, they’re the engines of reinvention I’d like to carry with me for years to come.
Some of these plans are intangible. Some are silly, serious, or both. But all represent simple and refreshing reevaluation. Where am I now? Where do I want go?
So out with the old and in with a new, this is going to be a crazy year.
- Be on time. If something starts at 4, you should not arrive at 4. Practice this with H.
- Eat mindfully. And when possible, cleanly. This means no chowing down like a maniac standing up.
- Rid your life of the excess that doesn’t serve you. This means clothes, possessions, friends, and jobs.
- Be kind to everybody. You don’t have to like someone to be nice.
- But don’t be a people pleaser. Strive to make the world a little bit but not to please them.
- Your love is infinite but not without worth. Give it to those who are worth it.
- Progress in yoga. Practice at least 3x per week.
- By the end of January, improve tripod headstand.
- By the end of February, improve side crow on both sides.
- By the end of March, pick a goal!
- By the end of April, improve hurdler.
- By the end of summer, improve handstand.
- Manage your money. Track with a website or other form. No more than $400 per semester. Use an excel spreadsheet to keep track.
- Be present in what you do. Don’t use your laptop in class, unless it’s only to take notes. Don’t be on your phone in the presence of others.
- Have dinner with 7 people you admire but have never really gotten to know. Do this once per month.
- Keep a journal. Write in it once a day. No to-do lists or schedules allowed.
- Learn to make sourdough bread.
- Visit 3 new places, preferably different states.
- Visit 3 new countries. Be open to experiencing other cultures.
- Call your best friend once per week. Talk.
- Stop saying “like” so much. While you’re at it, get rid of other unbecoming words. Like really.
- Find an older mentor at Georgetown.
- Read 1 amazing piece of literature.
- Keep it classy. Apply lipstick, laughter with real friends, and Beyonce (with C) when necessary.
- Have a themed birthday party. Celebrate 20 years of living because hey, you deserve it.
2013, bring it on.